Texas A & M-CC secured a career-high 18 points from Nabaweeyah McGill MCGILL in the win over the Huskies.
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – In an impromptu game scheduled just a day in advance, the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi girls’ basketball program used big indoor contributions to defeat HBU 61-56 in a non-conference match on Wednesday at the Dugan Wellness Center.
Although he didn’t score three points, A & M-Corpus Christi (6-6) won at the post with a career-high 18 points from sophomore Nabaweeyah McGill and a double-double from junior Alecia. Westbrook. The Islanders outscored the Huskies (4-7) 40-26 in paint.
McGill was 8 of 9 from the floor and also recorded four interceptions, three rebounds and one block. Westbrook finished with 11 points, 15 rebounds and two blocks.
A career high also came for senior Diamond Wraggs as she scored nine points on a 4 of 6 shot.
The Huskies, who took a 16-9 lead in the first quarter, saw Timia Jefferson score 19 points off the bench. Marilyn Nzoiwu came close to a double-double with nine points and 17 rebounds.
A & M-Corpus Christi led 7-2 early after senior jumper Makinna Serrata, but the Huskies responded with a 14-2 run the remainder of the quarter to lead 16-9.
After HBU scored the first bucket of the second, the Islanders responded with a big 10-1 push to come through and 19-19 after a pair of free throws from Serrata with 5:58 to go. A&M-Corpus Christi took the lead 21-20 on a Wraggs free throw. A Westbrook layup gave the Islanders a 27-25 lead at the break.
In the third, second-year rider Violeta Verano extended the lead to 31-27 with 7:21 remaining. A quick McGill layup kept him at 37-33 with 4:13 to go, and A&M-Corpus Christi had a 44-41 advantage going into fourth.
An old-fashioned three-point game from McGill gave the Islanders a 51-43 lead at 7:50. However, HBU was not easy and moved closer to 55-53 with 4:14 remaining. In the home stretch, the Islanders managed to hold onto the lead thanks to a field goal from McGill and free throws from Verano and Westbrook.
The Islanders are now 6-0 at home this year when they outscored opposition 462-297.
– A & M-Corpus Christi improved to 12-7 against HBU and 7-3 at home.
– The Islanders are now 207-144 at home and 53-28 at Dugan Wellness Center.
–A&M-Corpus Christi entered the nationally-ranked top-15 game in interceptions per game with 12.5 and 14 forced tonight.
– The Islanders shot .426 from the floor after leading the league in field goals percentage (.399) in the early evening.
–A&M-Corpus Christi has improved to 6-0 this year as it led at halftime and has been up in intermission in every home game.
– Westbrook notched his 13th career double-double and fifth this season. It was his 25th career double-digit game and ninth this year, and his 19th career double-digit rebound performance and eighth this season. Westbrook’s five assists were a season high.
– McGill surpassed its previous career high by 12 points against St. Thomas earlier this season. It was his seventh career double-digit game and his fifth this year. McGill’s eight field goals were also a career record.
– Wraggs tripled his previous career record (as an Islander) by three points. Wraggs is a transfer graduate from Mississippi Valley State.