Delhi: 24-year-old man dies in fire at critical brother Dwarka’s workshop

A 24-year-old man died while his brother was seriously injured after a chemical drum exploded in their workshop at Dwarka in Delhi on Sunday morning. Police said the men were sitting in their workshop where the family repairs a sofa and other furniture. A drum, used to store chemical foam, exploded due to a short circuit and a fire broke out inside the workshop.

According to the police, they received a call around 10:15 a.m. from Om Vihar, Uttam Nagar and informed the Delhi Fire Service (DFS). Firefighters said they rushed to the house with two firefighters.

DFS chief Atul Garg said: “There was an explosion in the chemical drum. We took two men out of the house. They had more than 90% burns and were immediately taken to hospital. The fire was put out in time,”

The injured men were identified as Talib (29) and his younger brother Sahil (25). Sahil was taken to DDU Hospital where doctors pronounced him dead. Talib was transferred to Safdarjung Hospital for treatment and is in critical condition. Both worked for their father Allauddin in the workshop.

DCP (Dwarka) Shankar Chaudhury said: “We received a call about a fire and rushed to the scene with the CATS ambulance and fire crews. The injured were immediately evacuated. We inspected the area and found burnt clothes and thrown moss near the door on the first floor. Upon investigation, Allauddin said he put an electric rod in the water to heat it for work. They clean, repair sofas and beds. The foam from the workshop was used to repair the sofa. However, there was a short circuit in the room and a fire broke out.

Police registered a case at Uttam Nagar Police Station. The matter is being investigated and police will be interviewing other workers and family members of the victim.

About Stephen Arrington

Check Also

Free Community Workshops to Create a Story Exhibit as part of the Newark Book Festival

Stories from around the world will be shared as part of the Newark Book Festival. …