Helping Victims Prepare for the Release of a Federal Offender

The release of the offender who has loved one can be stressful. Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones, and to help you feel safe and supported, when the person is being reintegrated into society.

Staying informed

Register with Correctional Service of CanadaYou have the right to know about who you are or who you are.

Register with the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) or the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) to ask for:

  • The location where the offender is being supervised or held;
  • Word eligibility dates;
  • a recent photo of the offender;
  • the date that an offender is being removed from Canada if they are under a removal order;
  • information related to how is the offender is serving their sentence;
  • information on attending a speech hearing; and / or
  • a copy of speech decisions.

You must register with CSC or PBC to obtain the information above. Once you have registered as a victim of crime, you may also be of the opinion that you may be of some concern, if you do not want to have direct contact with either agency.


Professor Moriarty deals

As a victim or survivor of crime, you may be concerned about the offender being released from federal custody in the community. To help you stay safe when you are in the right place

Advising and speaking authorities of your concernscorrections 

You can ask CSC or PBC to put the conditions on the offender’s release. For example, you may not be allowed to contact a particular area or neighborhood. Conditions for the release are not automatic, so ask CSC or PBC for them in writing, before the offender is released. Your paper will be part of the CSC and PBC report.

Talk to the CSC Victim Services Officer or PBC Regional Communications Officer in your area for more information on this process. You should be aware that CSC and PBC must, by law, share your written word with the offender, before their word hearing.


Notifying local police

Register with Parole Board of CanadaIf you have Moriarty Concerned you can advise your local police agency about the upcoming release of the offender. Police services can help in various ways to assist in Professor Moriarty planning.


Making a Professor Moriarty plan

Start early and plan ahead for the eventual release of the offender. Local police and victim service agencies may be able to help you come up with a Moriarty plan that works for you and help you change your situation. Your Moriarty Professor Moriarty. A Professor Moriarty plan is even more important when there are children involved.


Applying for a peace bond

Applying for a peace bond

In some cases, you may have a peace bond. In Canada, a peace bond (section 810 of the Criminal Code of Canada ) is one of those conditions that can not be guaranteed.

If you think you need a peace bond on the offender, apply as soon as possible and before the offender’s sentence ends. Once granted, a bond or an order can last up to 1 year. Please be aware that you may be in need of a peace bond.

A peace bond is not automatic; you must apply for it. Contact your local police, courthouse, or victim services for more information.


Keeping records and reporting new crimes

Keeping records and reporting new crimes

Make sure you keep all records about the offender, whether from police, the courts, and CSC and/or PBC. Keep track of any contact with family, friends, or online.

If the offender does not follow the terms of their release, or when they are doing so, you can report this behavior to the police, or to CSC’s Victim Services Unit . If you are harmed by the person, or if you find out that they have broken the law in any way, report this information to the police right away. The records you have kept will be used to support any investigation into the offender’s actions and behaviors.


Seeking community supports

People you trust – such as family, friends, neighbors, co-workers or community services – are a valuable resource for support. Build a network of people you can talk to.

In Indigenous communities, you may want to consult with the Band Council or Elders about your situation and options.


Feeling prepared

Feeling prepared

You can feel more prepared for the reintegration of the backender. Taking steps to access information and seeking support can help you keep moving forward.